Engineer Inyang Effiong took early retirement from Shell and he is into a number of crazy things these days! I am not exaggerating! If a man will ride a bicycle from Lagos to Port Harcourt or ride a motorbike across the Sahara and cross to Europe, I think not many people will blame me for calling him crazy. Effiong himself pleads guilty to the charge!
I knew him as a younger man when he was still in school studying to become an engineer late in the 1980’s. At that time he, with a group of equally crazy fellow students from Science, Engineering, Medicine, etc., taught themselves programming and, despite their declared majors in those days, they would scare any serious computer major. It is no wonder that today, Effiong and his co travellers have reached commanding heights in Software and services in the country.
I was surprised that in his two visits to my place here in Omu Aran, Inyang has morphed into a reporter and journalist! Here are the two interviews we did together for the InyangEffiong Show. Enjoy!
Some project students have been trying to see me. In order that we don’t misunderstand one another let me make it clear that I want meetings with students to be well-defined. It is even better when there is a memo stating the matters for discussion. As you do that, note the following:
1. I will not do YOUR project for you. My duty is to empower you with the theory and skills you need to model, design and analyse products. I am doing that in MCE 511 and 534. You can ask me specific questions in these courses.
2. Your project is not a welding and fabrication project. The major thing is to turn an idea into a product by creating the basis for the specifications. Any person can be taught to weld parts together in a short time. The engineer’s training is to determine the shapes and sizes based on deep knowledge of how these materials are known to react to loading: mechanical, thermal, shock, etc.
3. Simulation of simple parts in MCE 511 is the best preparation to get this done. When you neglect the examples and demos in that course and are wanting to see me; the question is: See me for what?
I am putting a number of Motorcycle trailer ideas from the web on this page. You can have a look and decide on what direction you want to move.
The work of designing a trailer can be broken into at least two parts:
1. The Chassis, Moving Parts and Suspension System
2. Coupling and Body (This can be neatly done in sheet metal by Fusion 360)
It is either you are divided into two groups to concentrate on these or that another set join to take one aspect.
If you work in groups, you must agree on the specifications that will make the work of one group fit into the results from the other.
It is also a good idea to select what parts can be bought rather than made from scratch. There are some things that are better purchased than made for different reasons. We can discuss these ideas.
Please do not look for me. If you want a meeting, state the specific purpose as a response to this write up. I will respond and we can easily arrange a meeting. No open-ended meeting with no purpose!
Much of what you have here is already in the video. While most of you already got these slides in class, they are posted here for completeness and for the benefit of other students using these materials outside of Landmark University:
This article is from the May 2010 edition of Mechanical Engineer, ASME. I would have referred you to the original journal but it is absent from their back issues. Instead they have a summary of this important article. Luckily, I made a full copy of it seven years ago. It tells of the necessity of the theory inb the use of simulation and Finite Elements Packages.
The solutions here are given in General Tensors rather than Cartesian tensors. Most problems only include General tensor constructs that have Cartesian equivalents. Here are a few modifications you can make:
1. Note that you can convert superscripts to subscripts and the Cartesian tensor meaning remains intact.
2. The base tensors change from g to e. Again, downgrade the superscripts.
3. When a term has both superscripts and subscripts, let the superscripts downgraded come consistently after the subscripts at the same position.
4. The six indexed Kronecker deltas are simply products of two three indexed Levi-Civita third order alternating tensors.
If there are still clarifications you need, let me know.
The following slides presents a quick introduction to the definitions and results of Tensor Algebra.
The homework is due next week before lecture hour
Here are the solutions to the first set of practice questions on the review of Vector Analysis on our way to Basic Tensor Algebra:
To make matters simple and easy, We have restricted considerations to Cartesian coordinates here. For full general tensor results, consult the notes in SSG 805 (on this site) given to graduate students.
After creating a 3D model of your design, the next most important step is to impress constraints, loads and define the contact relationships on the model. To prepare for the finite element simulation, you will also be called upon to convert the region occupied by the material to simplified meshes of tetrahedrons or other simple geometrical entities. Fusion 360 provides the Simulation Work Space that gives you the facilities you need to do these and much more as we shall see. The attached video takes you through this process for the simple hinge we created early on after briefly introducing the governing equations the embedded Finite Element package are designed to solve.
Furthermore, you can also download the Mathematica Notebook that can provide you the governing equations in any coordinate system desired once you supply the tensor equations.
I hereby remind students in this class to desist from sending me personal mails unless it becomes absolutely necessary to do so. I want your comments in open fora to enable other students to benefit from specific Q&A from you.
By a modest adjustment to the previous post, we can use the same cylinder units to create a V8 Engine with two sides offset as a result of putting two connecting rods together on the same crank section. A special connecting rod to avoid this offset was popular in old aircraft engines. It is called “Blade and Fork: connecting rods”. We will be aiming at a parametric model of the Blade and Fork in our simulations and analyses later. Another video will be done on that. Here is the V8:
It is easy to reorient the crank and the piston sets for different orientations and cylinder offset preferences.
For your simulation, do not forget that we are going to do failure, displacement and stress analyses on several of the components you are creating in these assemblies. The use of simulating the engine is to make the force applications realistic.