In Today’s Lecture, we shall create a simple assembly of a car engine. We do this by first making the components of a single cylinder and replicating the unit to make the other cylinders.
We then proceed to assemble the system using the joints facility in Fusion 360. From then, we can get an animated engine system.
Two videos help to create these in a step by step manner on your own time. They are on Vimeo and youtube
Some have complained that the links are absent. Please click on vimeo or youtube above and the two videos will show. Unlike the last case, the videos here have voice added.
Please keep you own models for the simulation part to follow these practice examples.
It is unfortunate we may only be able to meet on Thursday this week. Today’s (Tues January 23) lecture has been cancelled due to an emergency meeting between the Faculty of Engineering with the University of Lagos Governing Council. I will still try to be in class if the meeting ends faster than expected.
Go through these slides and watch this silent video
Post your direct questions and I will try to answer them online.
The weather is hot. Every creature longs for cold water. Lions, Elephants or the birds will travel or fly to locations where they can find.
Primitive people know that porous pots that partially leak water will give them some colder water than the environ.
A physicist can explain that this colder water is obtained by the latent heat of evaporation released from the water.
An engineer can capitalize on that idea and recycle the latent heat of evaporation using a compressor to get a freezer level temperature.
That freezer just described is technology or, more accurately, a technological product. The clay pot is also technology. The difference between the primitive technology and advanced technology as we see here is the mediation of science and the scientific method. When we use the scientific method to create a technological product, we are doing engineering.
The software for this course are:
1. Autodesk Fusion 360 for which each person should obtain a personal license for free from their website. Log in with your Unilag email address.
2. Wolfram Mathematica. I think our subscription as a university has expired. Until we are able to get that renewed check for alternative ways to obtain a copy. Or purchase the Rapberry Pi which has a fully licensed copy of version 10 – good enough for our purpose.
Engineer Inyang Effiong took early retirement from Shell and he is into a number of crazy things these days! I am not exaggerating! If a man will ride a bicycle from Lagos to Port Harcourt or ride a motorbike across the Sahara and cross to Europe, I think not many people will blame me for calling him crazy. Effiong himself pleads guilty to the charge!
I knew him as a younger man when he was still in school studying to become an engineer late in the 1980’s. At that time he, with a group of equally crazy fellow students from Science, Engineering, Medicine, etc., taught themselves programming and, despite their declared majors in those days, they would scare any serious computer major. It is no wonder that today, Effiong and his co travellers have reached commanding heights in Software and services in the country.
I was surprised that in his two visits to my place here in Omu Aran, Inyang has morphed into a reporter and journalist! Here are the two interviews we did together for the InyangEffiong Show. Enjoy!
Some project students have been trying to see me. In order that we don’t misunderstand one another let me make it clear that I want meetings with students to be well-defined. It is even better when there is a memo stating the matters for discussion. As you do that, note the following:
1. I will not do YOUR project for you. My duty is to empower you with the theory and skills you need to model, design and analyse products. I am doing that in MCE 511 and 534. You can ask me specific questions in these courses.
2. Your project is not a welding and fabrication project. The major thing is to turn an idea into a product by creating the basis for the specifications. Any person can be taught to weld parts together in a short time. The engineer’s training is to determine the shapes and sizes based on deep knowledge of how these materials are known to react to loading: mechanical, thermal, shock, etc.
3. Simulation of simple parts in MCE 511 is the best preparation to get this done. When you neglect the examples and demos in that course and are wanting to see me; the question is: See me for what?
I am putting a number of Motorcycle trailer ideas from the web on this page. You can have a look and decide on what direction you want to move.
The work of designing a trailer can be broken into at least two parts:
1. The Chassis, Moving Parts and Suspension System
2. Coupling and Body (This can be neatly done in sheet metal by Fusion 360)
It is either you are divided into two groups to concentrate on these or that another set join to take one aspect.
If you work in groups, you must agree on the specifications that will make the work of one group fit into the results from the other.
It is also a good idea to select what parts can be bought rather than made from scratch. There are some things that are better purchased than made for different reasons. We can discuss these ideas.
Please do not look for me. If you want a meeting, state the specific purpose as a response to this write up. I will respond and we can easily arrange a meeting. No open-ended meeting with no purpose!
Much of what you have here is already in the video. While most of you already got these slides in class, they are posted here for completeness and for the benefit of other students using these materials outside of Landmark University:
This article is from the May 2010 edition of Mechanical Engineer, ASME. I would have referred you to the original journal but it is absent from their back issues. Instead they have a summary of this important article. Luckily, I made a full copy of it seven years ago. It tells of the necessity of the theory inb the use of simulation and Finite Elements Packages.